Notes for those who came to my Open Shop.
- Ornamental Turning Book of Knowledge - an on-line tool to help those getting started in ornamental turning -- to make that journey easier.
- Sharpening Handbook - a reference tool for those who already know how to sharpen specific tools.
- Powermatic 3520B
- Doc Greenwood's site - lots of good information, especially about how to repair these lathes.
- Mustard Monster web site - lots of good information about these lathes.
- Instructions for making the control panel to be remote
- Camera for hollowing - I recommend adding a camera to your hollowing system. I switched my hollowing rig to use a camera instead of the laser. That was remarkably easy, & I hooked mine up to an old, used computer monitor. Total cost <$50.
What I used is :
- Camera : Swann Microcam 720p Security Camera, 1 megapixel resolution. $25 @ Micro Center.
- The camera uses a BNC Connector (a BNC cable and power plug come with the kit)
- The camera attached to the arm where my laser had been attached. I hold it in place by a small hose clamp. A small block of wood between the camera body and the hose clamp keeps it from pivoting on it's axis (from vibration in the woodturning process).
- Adapter (to convert the BNC cable from the camera to the VGA cable for the monitor): VGA video PC converter adapter with BNC $18 @ Amazon
- Standard VGA cable (usually has blue ends) - I already had an unused one
- Computer Monitor - I already had an unused one
- Raspberry Pi - a low cost shop computer. There are quite a few models of the Raspberry Pi, but I use the Pi 3 Model B+. It has everything I need and the complete kit is around $75.
- Raspberry Pi Kit from MicroCenter
- Computer keyboard with USB connection
- Computer mouse with USB connection
- Ethernet cable (if you are hooking the machine up to a jack -- it has WiFi that you could use instead)
- Computer Monitor
- The Raspberry Pi uses HDMI for video output. You may need one of these adapters, depending on the monitor you use. If there is no HDMI input, then you'll need one of these adapters :
I've found my visits to other people's shops have been valuable. I hope coming to mine was worth your time.
- Rich Colvin